JUNE 17, 2017
Zero PrecedentRight now there is no event like DCP for independent comics and zine creators to sell their work in the Detroit area.
Zero Entry FeesThere will be no cost for exhibitors to submit applications, and NO COVER for the public during the day.
Zero CensorshipDCP is the only comics show that makes free speech a top priority, and will not enforce anything resembling a “family friendly” policy.
Instead of stopping at 5:00pm, DCP will continue raging late into the night, morphing into a giant party with the best entertainment Detroit has to offer.
- Exhibitors register and load in
- Exhibitors set up their displays at assigned tables
- The full venue is open to the public for book sales
- Live performances and readings given in the central hall
- Drinks served from the club bar
- Food trucks available for meals outside the venue
- Public exhibition ends
- Tables on the club dance floor are cleared
- Exhibitors who wish to continue sales can move into the ballroom
- Nighttime entertainment sets up in the club dance hall
- Live entertainment plays in the club dance hall
- The heartiest exhibitors continue book sales in the ballroom
- Everyone lives happily ever after
12 years ago, Julia Eff crawled out of a St. Clair County wastewater runoff ditch and started making zines. Since then, they’ve clawed their slimy way to the top of the Midwestern zine heap with a combination of sharp teeth, honesty, trauma, Myspace-era aesthetics, and laughing at the worst possible times. Their book, Every Thug Is A Lady: Adventures Without Gender, came out in 2015 on Pioneers Press. Julia lives in Detroit, runs a zine library, drinks way too much coffee and loves shitty metalcore bands. They will never win a fancy art fellowship grant.
COWBOY HOUSE is a Pittsburgh-based art collective made up of Fred Frances, Jeff Gibbons, and Mike Madsen. Each member of COWBOY HOUSE is both a writer and artist, and they work independently as often as they collaborate. Since 2010, COWBOY HOUSE has self-published over 50 minicomics and zines dealing with a wide range of subjects and themes. Mike Madsen is an artist whose work is known for its yearning metaphysical qualities as it is for his visceral, sometimes brutal line drawings. His recent books include Guts V and his ongoing allegory Storm Signal. Jeff Gibbons is a comic artist whose phenomenal skill as a draftsman and colorist is matched by his heartfelt writing, which addresses heavy themes in a way relatable even to children. His most notable work includes the ongoing all-ages science fiction adventure Helper Bot, and Pretty Jeff, a semi-autobiographical webcomic. Fred Frances is an artist, illustrator, and writer whose books, which include the recent Worry World Daypass and Primary Insomnia, are noted for their humor and formal/structural ambition.